Monday, May 11, 2009

Corn - Is It Bad For Alabama's Deer Hunter

Is the possiblity of legalizing corn a good thing for Alabama hunters? It seems a lot of people in the hunting world are excited about the possibility. Good arguments can be made for it. One idea is it is no different than planting a green field. Another is the fact it is currently legal to bait all year, you just can't hunt over it. Therefore if disease was a problem there is no real argument. I remember as a kid thinking how much I would love it and how I would put corn in all my favorite spots. I realize now there is another side to it. A friend of mine I hunt with in Georgia has a home and hunting property in North Caralina. In Georgia he always killed good deer and was an excellent hunter. Recently North Caralina legalized corn. Since that time my friend has had a long dry spell in Georgia. He and I were talking one afternoon about his troubles and he said,"I have forgotten how to hunt." I asked him what he meant. He said, "The only deer I hunt now in North Caralina are in the corn pile at the end of the driveway. I don't actually hunt anymore. I don't know how" Could this happen to you? It is possible? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment